It’s summertime and we need to pay attention to our cats susceptibility to hot days. Cats are more likely to be adversely affected by the heat than humans. We humans have a good system to get rid of heat by sweating. Cats do not sweat and they have a full coat of fur on at all times. Therefore, their bodies have a very inefficient system to get rid of excess heat.
If your cats body temperature reaches 104 degrees Fahrenheit, then he is technically in heatstroke and body cells begin to die. Symptoms to watch for include,
1.. Give your cat plenty of praise and attention during this process.
2. Start out with the harness and lead next to the cat’s bed for several days so it will know it’s smell.
3. Put the harness on your cat for a very short period of time.
4. Increase the time each day until your cat is very comfortable with the harness. Carefully watch your cat so that the harness does not get caught on anything.
5. Attach the lead to the harness and let your cat walk around with the lead trailing behind. Watch your cat so that the lead and harness do not get caught on anything.
6. Walk with your cat indoors before going outside.
7. When you do go outside
If you have ever owned a cat you know they like to play and stalk. Playing is a great form of exercise for your cat. Here are some ways your cat can get some great exercise and entertain you at the same time.
1. A wand with a feather attached to it.
2. Remote-controlled toys – the faster the better
3. Large paper bags to climb in and out of.
4. Cat trees, furniture, condos – Some of these are for climbing and jumping.
5. Ping Pong balls
6. Adopt two kittens from the same litter because
A cat carrier is a must for bringing your cat home. Immediately take your new cat to a room that your other animals will not have access to. Supply your cat with all of it’s needs in the room and try to use the same type of cat litter and cat food it is accustomed to. This will be two items they won’t have to adjust to right away. You can change them later when the cat is more adjusted. After the cat has become comfortable in the room and is more familiar with the scents and sounds in the household then slowly introduce the other animals in the house. When introducing a dog to a new cat there are two
With Hurricane Alex in the Gulf, I thought this would be a good time to write about what you need for your cat if evacuation is needed before a hurricane arrives, after an earthquake or tornado . During Hurricane Rita I personally saw people with their pets stranded on the side of the road near gas stations. The gas stations had run out of gas. Here are some of the items you need when you and your cat leave home during an evacuation.
WATER , FOOD, MEDICINE, VET INFO, PET INSURANCE INFORMATION, VACCINATION RECORDS, LITTER BOX SUPPLIES, PHOTOS OF YOUR CAT, CLEANING SUPPLIES, TRAVEL CRATE AND A LEASH WITH AN ID TAG.
Water is critical especially if you get stranded. If you feed your cat wet cat food then purchase small containers. The medicine should be current. Vet information and vaccination records are important in case
1. No dog food. Dogs and cats have different nutritional needs.
2. No bones in any food product. Bones can cause blockage and damage the digestive system
3. No onions or garlic.
4. No milk or dairy products. – Milk and dairy products can cause diarrhea. Look for
If you don’t want your cat sleeping on your favorite sofa,expensive rug or other non-washable item then you might consider getting your kitty a cat bed of their own. There are so many shapes and styles of cat beds out there to purchase, so before buying a cat bed watch where your cat likes to sleep or take a nap. Does your cat like an open box lined with blankets, a cozy closed area, under blankets or a simple pad?
Cat Bed Features:
With the Fourth of July coming soon, you may want to take some precautions for your cat. Loud fireworks and all the commotion and loud celebrating can be very traumatizing for cats. Take the time to do a few easy precautions to make this holiday as painless as possible for your pet.
Bring your cat inside your home before dark and celebration time. Remember to lock the cat flap. There are a few tricks you can use to keep your cat calm. One is to place a radio in the room and play soft music at a low volume. This will help muffle the outside noise. Take extra time to
A Cat Whisperer
A cat whisperer understands cats and can naturally work with them. They can also work with mistreated cats when other people cannot. This is because the cat can sense some degree of trust with the cat whisperer. Perhaps it is because the cat whisperer has a lot of patience which is required with mistreated cats.
I am a “cat watcher”. I have been one all my life. The first time I remember watching cats was when I was five years old. A kitty
Is your cat or your neighbor’s cat using your food garden as a sand box?
Most cats don’t like water so it may only take a squirt with a garden hose to keep
them away. After many attempts with a water hose and the cats still come back then
move on to the next